“Have you ever wanted to become a firefighter? The Progressive Firefighters Association of South Florida is host two event for those considering a career in the firefighting industry. September 26, 2017 at the North Lauderdale Sports Complex and October 2, 2017 at the Leanard Weisinger Community Center in Margate. For more information call 888-435-7804. Hope to see you there!”
“There is a nationwide recall of Takata airbags for certain make and model cars. If you own a one of the cars listed below, you are urged to click on the link below and schedule a free repair immediately. For more info on this recall visit airbagrecall.com”
- 2001-2001 Honda Accord
- 2001-2002 Honda Civic
- 2003 Honda Pilot
- 2002-2003 Acura TL/CL
- 2002 Honda Odyssey
- 2002 Honda CR-V
Hurricane Resource Center Continued
Blankets / Pillows, etc.
Clothing – seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
Items – for babies and the elderly
Toiletries – hygiene items
– Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
Cash – Banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods.
Books and Games
documents – in a waterproof container
- insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
- document all valuables with videotape if possible
Tools – keep a set with you during the storm
Vehicle fuel tanks filled
Pet care items
- proper identification / immunization records ample supply of food and water a
carrier or cage medications
- muzzle and leash
The Florida Department of Transportation’s (FDOT) free, bilingual Florida 511 Traveler Information System provides real-time traffic information for the whole state through one phone and Internet system. The system is updated with information, including commuter travel times, congestion, lane closures, severe weather, construction and emergency evacuation information on all interstate highways, toll roads, including Florida’s Turnpike, and many other metropolitan roadways. 511 is available in English and Spanish on the phone by dialing 511, or on the Web at FL511.com.
With My Florida 511 personalized services at FL511.com, travelers can register their custom routes to hear travel information on their routes first when calling 511. Additionally, users can register to receive traffic alerts on these routes via a phone call, e-mail and/or text message. Travelers can customize their alerts by choosing the time of day, day of week and type or severity of incidents.
The 511 system is available from cell phones and landlines; however, standard cell phone minutes may apply.
Florida 511 Features
- Traffic information on all interstate highways, toll roads including Florida’s Turnpike and many other major metropolitan roadways
- Commuter travel times and reports on crashes, lane closures, construction and severe weather affecting travel
- Access public transit, airport and seaport information
- AMBER, Silver and LEO alerts, and emergency evacuation information (Silver Alerts notify the public when law enforcement agencies are searching for missing adults or citizens with cognitive impairments, including Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) Alerts notify the public when law enforcement officers are searching for an offender(s) who has seriously injured or killed a law enforcement officer.)
- Visit FL511.com for travel information, traffic camera views and free personalized services, including customized travel routes and e-mail, text and phone call alerts
- Voice-activated and touch-tone navigation available
- 511 call and FL511.com Web site available in English and Spanish
- A free resource of the Florida Department of Transportation; standard cell phone minutes or text charges may apply
Florida 511 Benefits
- Helps drivers avoid traffic congestion and road construction
- Reduces frustration and relieves stress for travelers
- Helps users make informed travel choices
- Allows users to change their travel behavior including altering their routes and departure times
- Reduces time spent idling in traffic which reduces emissions
- Information available on the Web and mobile Web (mobile.FL511.com)
- Increases driver convenience by delivering traffic information to users when they want it